September Wii NPD: slight flinch or prophecy?
Halo 3 made damn sure that Wii didn’t best it during its big debut month in North America. Inevitable really, no one expected any different. But since i’m a vulture with my gaze set on a distant, still-healthy and hydrated Nintendo, i must gauge the impact of little things like these.
* Microsoft Xbox 360: 527.8K (6.8 million total)
* Nintendo Wii: 501K (4.5 million total)
* Nintendo DS: 495.8K (13.2 million total)
* Sony PlayStation 2: 215K (39.3 million total)
* Sony PSP: 284.5K (8.6 million total)
* Sony PlayStation 3: 119.4K (1.87 million total)
1. Halo 3 (all three SKUs – Xbox 360) – 3.3 million
2. Wii Play w/ remote (Wii) – 282K
3. Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS) – 224K
4. Madden NFL 08 (PS2) – 205K
5. Skate (Xbox 360) – 175K
6. Madden NFL 08 (Xbox 360) – 173K
7. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii) – 167K
8. BioShock (Xbox 360) – 150K
9. Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day (DS) – 141K
10. Heavenly Sword (PS3) – 139K
Personally, i doubt that Halo will have a lingering impact on the NPD sales figures past December at best; September at worst. Wii is gonna be the holiday champ this year, no question. Despite Halo, last month was one of Wii’s highest selling since launch. But i remain watchful and patient, perched on a solitary cliff in the pacific, just off the edge of California. Perhaps one day, the plague that’s beginning to manifest in the east will flow across the waters and deem me a viable carrier. My mission, then, will be fated.
I will have no option but to… blog about it.